Different fabrics are used differently. They are specially made to fulfil certain purposes.
Application of Fabrics
The primary need of man in dressing has changed a lot as time passed. This is because the yarn, fabrics and finishing have completely changed with the improvement in technology. Whatever be the changes, the welfare and comfort is the two important properties for a successful dress.
Today, multi functional products are more and more being projected, where contrasting performances should coexist like water resistance and air permeability along with softness. It should have thermal properties as well as vapour-humidity or light-humidity transmission quality.
Different fabrics are used differently. They are specially made to fulfil certain purposes. Apparel fabric is very dressy with a comfort and durability where as industrial fabric should be strong and tough with grease resistant. Outdoor fabric should posses the quality to retain color over years while hosiery fabric is suppose to fit to the skin closely. In the same way curtain and drapery fabric has different dedicated utility than blanket or mattress fabric.
Types of Fabrics - by usage
- Apparel Fabric - A woven fabric which is used in clothing and garments or for decoration and covering purposes. Use of these fabrics dates back to the 16th century when various fabrics like cotton, silk, wool etc. were used for making garments or apparels.
- Beachwear Fabric - Beach Wear fabric should be carefully chosen to give it a dignified yet comfortable feel. Nylon Lycra is the standard swim wear fabric that allows the beach wear to be stretchy yest retain its shape and support. Neon prints and solids, Velvets are the other fabrics used for beach wear.
- Blanket Fabric - This is a heavy, loosely woven fabric, usually of wool, used in bed clothing. Nothing lasts as long as wool and reversible fabrics backed with a sherpa pile are as warm and soft as they are warm.
- Curtain Fabric - Light weight and loosely woven fabrics are used in making curtains because these have the ability to control the amount of light to be let in. Some fibers like Cotton, Linen and Polyester hold up better under sun and are pretty safe fabrics for sewing curtains.
- Drapery Fabric - Drapery fabric must suit the décor and have the right properties for the window's treatment styling. Cotton, Linen, Acrylic Blends, Polyester Blends, Acetate, Nylon are the right choice of fabrics because of factors like strength, crease resistance, durability, wash-ability and reasonable price.
- Home Furnishing Fabric - IThe textile fabrics are used to make bed spreads, blankets, quilts, curtain, table cloths etc.All home furnishing fabrics are of high quality such as Silk, 100% Cotton, Australian Merino Lambs Wool, Baby Camel Hair, Cashmere, Lama Alpaca, wool etc.
- Hosiery Fabric - Hoisery are tailored coverings for the feet and its usage dates back to pre-history. Wool was once a primary material but nowadays cotton is much more common.
- Industrial Fabric - Industrial fabric is a strong and durable woven textile and are made from high performance ,an made fibers such as fiberglass, carbon, and aramid fibers. Most of these fabrics are used in industries where high heat is present and high strength and dimensional stability are required.
- Interlining Fabric - This fabric is used to provide warmth to any . Lycra, Sheer and Light weight Fabrics, Wool and Mohair Blends, Blends of Cashmere, Silk, Teflon treated Fabrics etc. are mostly used for interlining purpose.
- Mattress Fabric - A comfortable mattress will help in a good nights sleep and so the proper fabric should be used in the making of a mattress. For ex: Mattress protectors have an advanced polypropylene fabric with a luxuriously soft texture. Thus these mattress are more comfortable to sleep in.
- Outdoor Fabric - Available in a vast variety, outdoor fabrics possess thermal, fire and abrasion resistant properties. Made from natural as well as man made fibres, these fabrics are further manufactured into casual and sportswear.
- Packing Fabric - Packing fabric are widely used to protect goods and materials while in transportation from one place to another. Generally made of stretch material, these fabrics retain their shape for long time to come.
- Pintuck Fabric - Pintuck fabrics are used to beautify or decorate the garments. They are mostly used for women blouses and other clothing.
- Quilting Fabric - Quilting is used for padding a fabric; This two layered fabric is eas and comfortable. Cotton, silk and wool blends, polyester are popular options.
- Rugs & Carpets - The fabric used to manufacture rugs and carpets are made of both natural as well as synthetic fibres, They can not only be easily cleaned but also easily moved.
- Tapestry Fabric - One of the oldest form of woven fabric, tapestry fabric is available in multi colours and multi patterns to enchant the onlooker.
- Tent Fabric - Tent fabric is generally made from strong and durable material to weather all conditions. Natural fabrics are blended with synthetic ones for making it stronger.
- Terry Fabric - Made of cotton, terry has a lot of absorbing capacity, it is extensively used to make towels, bathrobes and bath gowns.
- Umbrella Fabric - Beautiful and useful umbrella fabric is made of canvas, linen, dupione, as they are durable and strong. It also protects from the harmful UV rays.
- Upholstery Fabric -Upholstery fabric are woven into beautiful and eye caching patterns and designs. They are not only tough and durable but also do not soil or fade; easy to maintain.