Ergonomics for Apparel Workers
Displaying educational posters is a powerful way to educate workers. It is very effective because they are easy to make, deliver a consistent message, and use pictures which are a strong form of communication targeting specific behavior. Examples which have been used in other garment factories include posters on lifting postures, proper mask wearing, and reproductive health.
“Ergonomics (or human factors) is the scientific discipline concerned with the understanding of the interactions among human and other elements of a system, and the profession that applies theory, principles, data, and methods to design in order to optimize human well-being and overall system performance.”
International Ergonomics Association Executive Council, August 2000
Good practices for store organization
- Use posters to address specific problems or concerns. For example, posters can remind workers to dispose of fabric in rubbish bins or how to use proper lifting postures.
- Use posters to change (or reinforce) desired behaviors using local examples.
- Display posters where they will be useful and are easy to see.
- Posters relating to specific jobs should be near relevant workstations.
- Posters relating to general factory behaviors should be located in more centralized areas.
- Posters work best when they are part of a more comprehensive training program that includes training, information sessions, exercises, etc.
Benefits of good Store Organisation
- Posters that promote safety and reinforce important skills will present a positive image of the workplace.
- Demonstrates to workers and buyers that the company cares about the welfare of its staff.
- Easily, cheaply and consistently communicates simple messages about jobs.
How to achieve good Store organization?
- Create your own posters. Draw pictures or have workers’ photographs taken and add text.
- Use posters to communicate simple points in order to make the message clear and direct.
- Download free posters or images from the internet and add in text.
- Make posters for specific work procedures, such as the information offered on the Good Practice Sheets.