Cone Winding in Ring Spinning systems
The winding is the process of creating large yarn packages called “cone” from a number of small yarn packages (ring cops) in order to make use of yarn in subsequent machinery. The Winding process not only make bigger yarn packeges, it also corrects spinning faults like neps, hairiness, and waxes. The process also improves quality of yarn by cleaning.
Ring cops are the final package from the ring spinning machine which contains a small amount of yarn of a definite count. The cop contains 50-80 grams (1.5-3 ounces) yarns.
Cone Winding Process
After manufacturing of yarn, from different departments in the preparatory process and ring
department, it is ready to make a shape into final cone form so that it can be shipped to the customer for use. During the winding process of yarn, following objectives are met.
- Scanning and faults removing
Electric Scanners (Uster) are used for checking and elimination of yarn faults during the winding process. This process is called Usterization of yarn. Such faults are called scan-cuts.
- Splicing of broken or cut yarn
Auto splicing is done for broken yarn pieces to eliminate yarn knots and bad piecing.
- Bigger package Conversion of yarn from small ring bobbins to bigger yarn cones of
different international standard or as per requirement of the customer.
During achieving objectives or making of winding cones some faults are created during the process. These faults need to be controlled through monitoring and continuous study. Most of the winding faults are very dangerous for the next subsequent process which can be warping or knitting or doubling. We can face complains from a customer of breakage of yarn during unwinding process.
In order to avoid any complaints from customers, faulty winding cones are separated during an inspection by inspectors. Following three decisions are taken at this stage.
- Use as it is: When the fault is of some minor category, and there is no risk of next process failure during unwinding. The decision is only taken by some senior person of quality.
Some faults can be removed after rewinding. But rewinding itself is a costly affair and quality of cones also detritus after reprocessing.
- Degraded as B grade:
If the fault is of such nature that rewinding can’t remove that fault and there is a doubt for customers to complains then such cones are downgraded to lower grade. Degrading cones into lower grade is again a financial loss to the company.
How to maintain good quality?
Following point should be considered for quality point of view
- Winding speed should be 1200 meters per minute for getting good quality.
- For getting good quality, yarn fault clearers device setting should be as close as possible in order to eliminate the disturbing yarn faults.
- In order to get good quality of yarn count channel setting should be less than 7%.
- The cone which we prepare for weaving purpose should have minimum fault for getting good quality, especially in the long thin places and long thick places.
- For getting good quality yarn, splice strength must be 75% more than of the yarn strength.
- Splice appearance should be good. Splice device should be checked twice in a week.
- To get better efficiency, cone weight should be 1.8 to 2.4.
- Yarn winding tension must not be high during winding. If we will keep it high then tensile properties will be affected such as elongation and tenacity.
- If waxing attachment is below the clearers, the clearers should be clean at least once in a day.
- Wax roller should rotate properly