Establishing and Running a Proper Canteen
Canteen | Textile Factory
The requirement, good practices, and methods to establish a canteen facility within the textile factory premises are discussed in this article.
Because a balanced diet plays an important role in improving employees’ health, and boosting productivity, maintaining a good canteen can contribute to a productive work environment. Factories are increasingly investing in this area to ensure that productivity levels remain high throughout the work day. An ILO study on workers in developing countries found that food of poor quality (e.g. iron deficient) causes a productivity loss of $ 5 billion per annum in South East Asia.
Good practices for the importance of establishing and running a proper canteen
- Include an area where workers can prepare drinks or heat up food from home.
- Food provided by the canteen should be nutritious and satisfying. This way, the energy that has been spent during productive work can be replenished.
- Ensure that the canteen, dishes, and silverware are all cleaned hygienically. For example, use hot water and dish soap to clean dishes and silverware after use (Figure 1).
- Provide healthy and nutritious food such as fruits, vegetables, proteins, and grains.
- Provide a comfortable and well-ventilated canteen that provides workers a place to relax after they have finished eating (Figure 2).
Benefits of establishing a Proper Canteen
- Appropriate employee nourishment improves employee morale, increases productivity, and prevents diseases.
- Centralized provision of food in a canteen during overtime work saves time and enhances productivity.
- A well functioning canteen facilitates workers to enjoy a leisurely meal in their workplace and increases morale.
How to establish a proper canteen?
- Select an appropriate location within or nearby the factory premises. Such a location must be away from workstations, to avoid contact with dirt, dust, or hazardous substances.
- Invest in proper furniture and facilities such as chairs, tables, fans, and a refrigerator.
- Ensure that the canteen allows employees to take a break from their work in a comfortable environment.
- Arrange for workers to eat at different times, thus reducing the space needed for sufficient seating.