Establishing a Library
Factories with motivated and productive workers often outperform competitors.Establishing a library for the benefit of workers is an excellent way for a factory to demonstrate that it cares about its staff and to build goodwill in the community.
Good practices for store organization
Provide chairs and tables for workers to sit and read in the library
- Establish a borrowing system by recording the names of workers who borrow books to read at home (Figure 2).
- Encourage workers to donate their own books or magazines.
- Make sure workers can read and write. If they cannot, provide information about a local instruction program.
- Ensure that all workers have equal access to use the library.
Benefits of establishing a good Library
- Presents a positive image of the factory to buyers and the community.
- May increase sales to buyers who value social responsibility.
- Builds goodwill between the factory and workers.
- Better educated workforce.
- The library can be used to host a literacy program.
How to establish a good Library
- Identify a suitable location for a library. Space should be on the factory premises and in a quiet location.
- Contact NGOs for books and possible funding.
- The budget for book renewal.
- Interested workers can use their free time to take responsibility for the library. A team can be created to develop the library.
- Ask workers what kind of books they want to be supplied. Presents a positive image of the factory to buyers and the community.