The ring spinning system is the oldest spinning system that remains dominant because of the high quality yarns it produces. Ring spinning has various advantages besides disadvantages.It is the most flexible system from the view points of fibres which can be used and the extent of the yarn counts which can be produced.
Advantages of Ring Spinning
The Ring Spinning System allows various types and lengths of fibres (natural, man-made) to spin on a wide count range from 6 tex to 118 tex whereas this range is between 17 and 118 tex in rotor spinning. By combing option, the high quality combed yarns which are smoother, brighter and more compact can be produced using the ring system. On the other hand, the ring spinning system has two main problems. The first is low production speed because of frictional contact of ring and traveller, and the yarn tension caused, and the second is high energy consumption that causes high production costs
Following are the advantages of Ring Spinning Process
- Production of high strength yarns.
- Spinning of fine count yarns.
- Proper for special yarns.
- It is universally applicable (any material can be spun).
- The know — how for operation of machine is well established accessible to everyone.
- It is flexible as regards quantities (blend and lot size).
- Since the speeds in drawing section are best controlled, yarn evenness is excellent. But if short fibers are too much, yarn unevenness occurs.
- Fine yarns can be produced as compared to open-end system
Disadvantages of Ring Spinning
Following are the disadvantages of choosing Ring Spinning Process
- Process stages are more numerous. Roving stage exists as an extra process compared to the other systems.
- Yarn breakages are more numerous as a result of ring traveller friction and yarn air friction. Interruptions, broken ends and piecing up problems exist because of the yarn breakages.
- The high speed of the traveller damages the fibers.
- The capacity of the cops is limited.
- Energy cost is very high.
- Low production rate.
- New spinning processes have difficulty in gaining widespread acceptance. Owing to their individual limitations, the new spinning processes are confined to restricted sectors of the market.
- The ring frame can only survive in longer term if further success is achieved in automation of the ring spinning process. Also, spinning costs must be markedly reduced since this machine is significant cost factor in spinning mill.
- The cost structure in ring spinning mill is shown in the graph.