Advancements in Reactive Textile Dyes
Classifications, characteristics, developments, and advancements in Reactive Textile Dyes
The market for reactive dyes will continue to increase. This will arise partly from a marginal increase in the production of cellulosic fibres, essentially cotton, and more importantly from the replacement of other classes of cellulose dye, such as azoic and sulphur dyes, by reactive dyes.
Recent Developments in Reactive Dyes
The Ciba® Reactive Dye Ranges
To facilitate selection and application for the customer, Ciba Specialty Chemicals has introduced its own systematic approach to cellulose dyeing. The Ciba Specialty Chemicals reactive dye ranges for cellulose are CIBACRON C, CIBRACRON FN, CIBRACRON LS, CIBRACRON H, CIBACRON W and CIBACRON P for printing.30
This range has been designed for pad-batch and continuous dyeing of cellulose and its blends.
This highly homogenous mini-range,
- Ensure right-first-time production
- Have outstanding washing-off properties, thus attaining an exceptionally high standard of wet fastness, including wash fastness.
- Produces a fibre-dye bond that is highly resistant to oxidants, to acids and to alkali.
Furthermore, as the range is almost totally insensitive to any temperature differences in the trough, even in pad-batch application.
This range has been created for warm exhaust application on cellulose and its blends, especially with wool, polyamide and acrylics in jets.
The advantages of this range include:
- Excellent washing off performance, ensuring a very level of wet, including wash, fastness.
- High fixation, which further advantage is that no dye in the effluent
- A fibre-dye bond that highly resistant to oxidants and acid and alkaline condition.
CIBACRON W complements the CIBACRON C and CIBACRON FN ranges. A small number of dyes have been specially designed for economical production of standing strong and/or dark shades with the same good washing-off properties and high reproducibility.
CIBACRON LS – Low salt – is a special range designed for hot exhaust application on cellulose and its blends.
This range is virtually insensitive to changes in dyebath liquor ratio, thus ensuring right-first-time production even when batch sizes-and thus liquor ratio- vary widely, as for example when dyeing blends such as polyester/cotton.
This range requires less than a quarter of the salt normally used in the dyebath, a performance that is unparallel in exhaust dyeing of cellulose with reactive dyes and a major environmental benefit, especially in regions that are short of water.
This range is designed for hot exhaust application on cellulose and its blends. Like other ranges it is a highly compatible mini-range, thus ensuring right-first-time production.
This dyes distinguished by excellent washing-off behaviour and very high fixation-unusual in hot dyeing exhaust segment.
The CIBACRON P complete range of reactive dyes for one-stage printing of cotton and viscose is also recommended for continuous pad thermo fix application. With their high compatibility and very good reproducibility, the trichromatic dyes have set the standard for the industry.
CIBACRON Navy C-B and CIBACRON Navy FN-B
These ranges for pad and warm exhaust application give bloomy reddish navy shades and have higher reproducibility than black 5 and it has excellent washing-off behaviour and thus washes fastness, like other dyes in the CIBACRON C and FN ranges.
CIBACRON Black C-NN and W-NN
This range also for pad and warm exhaust dyeing. It set a new standard as regards the cost-effective achievement of the darkest sulfur-shade reddish black. It has excellent wash fastness, discharge ability and reproducibility.
Sumifix HF range
This range developed by Sumitomo Chemical Co.Ltd. The main advantage of this range is high fixation and less salt usage. Furthermore, it has high exhaustion rate and easy to wash off. Dyeing temperature of these dyes is 700C to 800C.it is good for medium and deep shade.31
Levafix ® CA range
DyStar develops Levafix CA range. This range comprises the following trichromatic dyes.
- Levafis Yellow CE
- Levafix Blue CA
- Levafix Red CA
- Levafix Navy CA
Advantages of the new Levafix CA dyes:
- Suitable for all dyeing processes, including high-temperature processes. For example garment dyeing.
- The dyes have a very high fixation yield and excellent wash-off properties, so they minimize effluent costs.
- High fastness properties, especially wash and chlorine fastness.
- Level dyeing with good reproducibility because the dyes have medium substantives and reactivity, homogeneous fixation behaviour and very low dependence on dyeing parameters.
- Levafix CA dyes can be combined with all Levafix dyes and with Remazol® dyes in cold pad-batch and continuous processes.31
Remazol® Black NF range 32
Remazol® Black NF is the latest development in reactive black dyes by DyStar. This new product has balanced fastness properties and excellent wash-off properties. It is the economical black dye for exhaust and pad-batch dyeing of deep shades of black. It is metal-free and AOX-free. It is available in a liquid formulation. Furthermore, it has good compatibility with Remazol® dyes.